My son received a Switch and Go Dino for a Xmas present (no receipt to return to store). Upon opening it did not work, my husband open the battery compartment and battery fluid went everywhere, the whole area was rusted. My 6 yr old is devasted.
I have contacted support, provided photos and they have told me to return to store with a receipt. I have explained it was a gift and the location of where it was purchased is not near where I live. They have not responded.
Does anybody else have issues with customer support or battery leakage in the toy?
This could be a significant health risk to young children. My husband fingers were stained for days after opening it up.